Left Flank Pain

05/15/2009

Question:

I am having intermittent pain in my left kidney felt in the flank area. I have previously suffered from damage to my left ureter in 2006 which doctors tried to cure by stenting. It resulting in me having a reimplantation of the ureter and psoas hitch in January 2007. I have not had pain since this operation which was classed as a complete success. I had a total hysterectomy in October 2008 which was also a success. In the last few days I have experienced kidney pain similar to that when I was stented. I have not expereinced any pain such as this since the repair op and the pain is at times very painful. It is a dull ache at other times and I am constantly aware that is it there. I am becoming concerned? Do you think there is a need to worry??

Answer:

It needs to be evaluated as this may represent stricture in ureter or obstruction to urine flow. You should consult your primary care doctor or kidney doctor to evaluate this further.

Ganesh  Shidham, MD Ganesh Shidham, MD
Associate Professor of Nephrology