Cancer

Benign Island

06/23/2009

Question:

I have been told I have a benign island in my hip. I suffer with servere pain in my leg especialy at night and if that would cause the pain, and if there is any treatment for it?

Answer:

I presume that you are referring to a 'bone island', also called an enostosis. It is essentially an area of cortical (hard) bone where there is usually trebecular (soft) bone. It is of developmental origin and has likely been present all or most of the patient's life. I see them commonly, and they are always incidental findings. That means that they are not causing the symptoms that initiated the work up. They were just incidentally found on imaging studies (e.g. x-rays or MRI).

Therefore, if you are referring to a bone island and if that is the correct diagnosis, I would not expect the bone island to be related to your pain. Either there is another cause for your pain or the finding is not a bone island.

I hope that this helps.

Go to the Cancer health topic, where you can:

Patrick J Getty, MD Patrick J Getty, MD
Assistant Professor of Orthopaedics