Hirschsprungs Disease in my 4 yr old

05/18/2009

Question:

My son was diagnosed with Hirschsprungs Disease and had a pull through surgery at 3 weeks. He has never had a normal bowel movement. He has had another biopsy at age 2 to test for the disease again because of this. He requires a full dose of Miralax each day to clean him out. He is on Flagyl each day because if he doesn`t, he gets constipated and in pain. He is now 4 years old and still having difficulty. We keep seeing specialists in our home town, but feel it`s beyond their expertise. What should we do?

Answer:

Certainly, 4 year of discussing this issue with health care professionals seems like a long time.  The best idea that I can offer is to talk with the pediatric gastroenterologists and ask them if this is how it will always be or if there is some other test or treatment they can think of.  It may be that with our current understanding of health care, that miralax each day is what he needs to be normal.  If they think there are other treatments but do not have access to them, they can refer you to another center where your son can get further care.

Michael Spigarelli, MD, PhD
Formerly, Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine