Blister on My Upper Gum

05/21/2009

Question:

Hi ok here is my problem i was raped in 2006 and i got herpes from the man that rapes me. Since then i have got cuts on my lips in my mouth and blisters on my upper gum. can this be from having herpes or is it something else? Or can they br two different things thanks

Answer:

The cuts on your lip would not be due to herpesvirus infection. Depending on the precise location of the blisters on your upper gum, this could be either aphthous ulcers (canker sores - not related to herpesvirus infection) or recurrent intraoral herpes. If you acquired type 2 herpes (genital herpes) during the sexual assault, then the oral blisters would actually be less likely to be due to that event. Most recurrent intraoral herpes is due to herpes type 1 (oral herpes), which is common among the adult population and is typically acquired during childhood through sharing sandwiches, etc.

If you need clarification of the situation, you should make an appointment to see an oral pathologist for further evaluation.

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology