Swollen Sore Tastebuds Bitter Taste on Tongue

05/26/2009

Question:

For about a month I have had very irritated tastebuds. They get swollen. I also have a bitter taste on my tongue and when I eat just about anything it gets worse and I seem to produce alot of saliva and strangely my head starts to sweat. I saw an allergist and he said this was from stress.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. From your description, it sounds like you may have a condition called 'Burning Mouth Syndrome'. For more information please refer to the NetWellness article on Burning Mouth Syndrome. I would bet that you are experiencing "irritated taste buds" because you probably are rubbing your tongue against your teeth due to the scalded sensation that's already present. 

I would suggest that you may want to see an oral pathologist to confirm the diagnosis.  

NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Burning Mouth/Tongue Syndrome (AAOMP)

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology