Lower Right Pain with Nausea

05/27/2009

Question:

For about 8 months I have been going to the different doctors about flank pain in my lower right side of my back. It`s below the ribs and the pain comes every once in a while. Sometimes it will last for a while other times not as long. I use to get really bad nasuea with it but that has slowly gone away. They have checked my gallbladder said it was fine also my liver is good. They only found high protein in my kidneys which is only high at night but the doctor said that being 23 years old that could go away. This is the only thing they could find but I`m still having pain and they have no clue what it is. They have done many blood test that have come back fine other than I could have lupus later on in my life because there is a sign it`s there, just not active yet. My kidney results showed it functions well with no kidney stones.

Is there something they have missed or something else they could possibly test for? I`m at a dead end and I`m tired of the pain even though its not constant. And now on my left side, same area, is slowly starting to ache. I want to figure it out because I`m scared it could be something really bad that they missed. Thanks for the help!

Answer:

This type of flank pain with no evidence of infection or kidney stones could be seen in patients with " Loin Pain Hematuria syndrome". Usually these patients also have gross or microscopic blood in urine in addition to flank pain which is at times pretty disabling. You should consult your kidney doctor for further management of this.

Ganesh  Shidham, MD Ganesh Shidham, MD
Associate Professor of Nephrology