Tooth Abscess Fixed but Still Pain

05/29/2009

Question:

About 6 months ago I had a root canal done on my first molar (next to my canine) at the top of my mouth. I was also prescibe antibiotics (amoxicylin) of which I only took 5days out of a 7day script. I was still having pain when biting down on the tooth and when I pressed under my cheek bone so I went back about 10 days ago and got a second script of antibiotics (this time taking the whole lot). Today (ten days later) I went for a check up, no decay, no fillings, no gum disease but it still hurts still hurts when I press under my check bone it and at the very top of the root of the tooth. It does not however hurt when the gum line is pressed around the tooth. My dentist has suggested that I go see a specialist however I don`t really have the money. Is it urgent that I go or could the  problem get better on its own?

Answer:

It is difficult from your description to answer your question. There are several possibilities on the cause of the pain.

1.  It is possible that you needed to take a full course of two different antibiotics that treat different types of infections. Both types can occur with an abscessed tooth.

2.  It is possible that the tooth is cracked though you did not complain of pain when chewing. When you have a cracked tooth there is usually pain when chewing.

3.  If the pain persists, you could still have an infection. A visit to the endodontic specialist could answer these questions.

You ask if it is urgent that you see a specialst. It is impossible to answer that question unless we know for sure what the source of your pain is. A consultation with a specialist should not be that expensive, and then you would know what needs to be done to treat the problem. It could be expensive or inexpensive, but then you would know your choices.

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry