Dental Anesthesia

Facial paralysis treatment

05/27/2009

Question:

I had a crown started 6 days ago. First couple of days after was okay and then intense pain set in and lip, chin & jaw went totally numb (feels like a novacaine shot wearing off). Very itchy also. Went back to Dentist and had to have a root canal. However the paralysis is still there. Dentist said it just has to wear off over time. Is there ANY medical treatment to speed this process up? 

Answer:

It is possible that a dental infection could have caused these symptoms but you should inquire about whether your dentist is sure this is the cause.

There are other neurologic causes not related to the teeth. Usually, when the dental infection is cleared up, the numbness will begin to improve quickly. Contact your dentist for direction.

If this was infectious, antibiotics and even tooth extraction may help. It does not sound as if the numbness is due to trauma from surgery or local anesthesia.

Go to the Dental Anesthesia health topic, where you can:

Steven I Ganzberg, SB, DMD, MS Steven I Ganzberg, SB, DMD, MS
Formerly, Clinical Professor of Dentistry