Pain after triple filling

06/08/2009

Question:

i got a filling yesterday, may 29, on large molar (2nd from the back)on my bottom right side.

i have 3 cavities in this molar -- one in the front, center in the crevices, back. the center and back was already filled but being that the front cavity,he redrilled and refill the cavities. so, i have on long filling going from front to back of the tooth.

however, i now i have pain that come in spurts.. i feel as if i am biting down of aluminum foil with my filling.

i felt the pain once the numbness went away.

what does it mean? i feel as if a piece of mercury went too deep into the tooth and is floating around causing this spurts of pain.

i also i have tight teeth and i also have filling in the adjacent teeths.. so it could be that the fillings are touching each other and causing this pain as well.. not sure...

at first, i thought it it was a mercury chip caught in between the teeth. but i been flossing all day at least 4 times but still the pain.

i am definitely going to make an emergency appointment but i was wondering if you had an idea what the problem may be. it would put me at ease until i see my doctor

Answer:

From your description, it sounds as if you are having an interaction between two touching metal fillings. For a short time this will set up a small electric current that will feel like a shock to the nerve. It should go away after the new material is completely set. This may last up to 24 hours and should then subside.

There is no free mercury in the fillings so it cannot "float around". The primary ingredient in most of the metal fillings is silver. The amalgam is a silver alloy and thus can react for a short time with dissimilar materials in contact with it.

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry