Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Pinpoint bruising

06/03/2009

Question:

I am iron deficient..stress a lot but no high blood pressure and healthy but morbidly obese (so THEY say) but I have really tiny veins. I have been expeiencing pinching feeling almost a burning itch and then I look and see that my vein is swelling and then finally bursts leaving a small bruise. This bruise does not hurt and the pain is gone immediately afterwards. I do not suffer from anything from these other then minor discomfort from the vein popping open. Is there something that I can do to prevent this in the future or something that I should just leave be. I talked to my doctor whom gave me a determatitis creme which really did not seem to work or prevent these things from happening. Thank you.

Answer:

It is difficult really to say very much in this forum, but this does not sound like anything that you would see with iron deficiency or another condition that I could think of. What you are describing does not immediately point to any particular condition, but I would encourage you to continue to follow up with your physician if the problem persists.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine