Root Canals

Pain in Root Canal

I had a root canal on tooth #13, 15 years ago with a crown put on it. Whenever my sinuses act up, I get a dull pain in it for a couple of days and then it goes away. I just went to the dentist for my semi- annual check and he checked it, along with all my other teeth and gave me a perfect report. I had a slight allergy attack last week, and now for the last 3 days have a horrible pain in that tooth when I tap it, and it throbbs so bad I can`t sleep. The pain is in the tooth and goes up into my sinuses and nose. There is no swelling of any kind or fever. I do have a lot of sinus drainage and pressure, but only on that side. I don`t have any insurance, so I don`t want to pay to go back to the dentist, for him to just send me to my doctor. Any ideas ??

If you can no swelling or fever, then you do not currently have a dental emergency so if you don't want to pay for an evaluation right now you don't have to. Sinus infections, sinus inflammation, and allergies are all treated differently and I would defer to your physician regarding diagnosis and treatment of those conditions. Tooth pain can be caused by those conditions or you could have a tooth problem that is mimicking sinus/allergy issues. You could treat your sinus problem and see if the tooth pain resolves. Without an evaluation, I cannot diagnose your condition. 

Go to the Root Canals health topic, where you can:

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics