Red bump under tongue

06/08/2009

Question:

I have a soft, fleshy bump under my tongue that started a week ago. It started out the pink color like the rest of the tissue but the more I mess with it, it has turned red. Any idea what it is or how to get rid of it? It`s driving me CRAZY!

Answer:

Not knowing the exact size or precise location of this tongue bump, I can only give an educated guess about what it is based on the fact that it only started a week ago. With such a brief history, the most likely possibility is something called mucocele. Additional information about this annoying problem can be found at the links below.

Regarding "what can you do?", the best suggestion I can give is to get an appointment with your dentist or an oral surgeon to (1) confirm my suspicion and (2) discuss your treatment options. Continuing to play with the bump on your own might make matters worse. Good luck!

Mucocele in the soft palate of my throat

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology