Tingling sensation in tooth

I just noticed a few days ago that when I touch one of my wisdom teeth with my tongue, I feel a sharp tingling sensation. I maintain good oral hygiene and am quite careful about sugar etc. Could you please let me know what the problem might be? Are there any OTC remedies?

Without knowing the specific area that is tingling, I can only venture a couple of guesses. The first is that the tingling radiated down into your tongue. If you compress the tissue, even lightly, on the inside of a wisdom tooth, it can cause a nerve in that area to flare up slightly.

The other option is that you have gums still over a portion of your wisdom tooth. If you have a minor inflammation in the area caused by food getting under the gums by the wisdom tooth, that can cause a minor tingling when pushed upon as well.

Daniel Nathan Reed, DDS Daniel Nathan Reed, DDS
Clinical Associate Professor of Primary Care Dentistry