Gum pain in chin area

06/17/2009

Question:

My gum hurts me almost in the middle of my chin. The pain feels like it`s going towards my tooth, but my gums look healthy and are not swollen. My teeth do not hurt when I touch them either. Can you tell me what could be my problem and what can I do at home to stop the pain?

Answer:

There are a couple of things that could be causing this. I do not know the duration of the discomfort or if it is getting worse, so my response will not be as focused as it could be.

You could have bruised the area. A hard piece of food or banging the teeth against something can cause the fibers that connect the tooth to the bone to be injured. If this is the case, then it should get better on its own in a few days.

A second possibility, especially if it is getting worse, is that you have a tooth that is dying. Previous trauma, deep fillings, or bone loss can all cause it to die. If the infection builds up at the end of the tooth, it can cause some discomfort in the gums prior to causing the gums to become inflamed.

That being said, if it is not better in a few days, I would schedule an appointment with your dentist. The discomfort you are having should be controllable with whatever you take for a headache. Just make sure you don't go over the recommended daily dosing.

Daniel Nathan Reed, DDS Daniel Nathan Reed, DDS
Clinical Associate Professor of Primary Care Dentistry