Renal Ultrasound

06/23/2009

Question:

Dear Doctor, I just got the results of my renal ultrasound.  The findings are as follows: right kidney measures 9.2 cm and left 9.1 cm. The echogenicity of the renal parenchyma is mildly increased and there is thinning of the cortex consistent with medical renal disease. Hydronephrosis, renal stones or renal mass is not seen.

I am a 74 year old female. Creatine 1.7, GFR 31, BUN 24. Can you tell me what stage this puts me in please? I go to the specialist next month. Thank you.

Answer:

Your kidneys are small and scarred: normal size is 10-13 cm, and the increased echogenicity suggests that there is scar tissue in the kidneys.  This does indeed suggest significant chronic kidney disease. 

Please see the links below for more information on kidney disease in general and on kidney tests.  You have stage 3 chronic kidney disease; and when you see the specialist, tests will be done to determine what the cause is.  Although your kidney function is quite decreased, it may be possible (with good care) for you to get along for years with this amount of kidney function.

Basic Information About the Kidneys
Kidney Tests

Mildred   Lam, MD Mildred Lam, MD