Roof of mouth swollen and sore

07/07/2009

Question:

My husband`s roof of his mouth is swollen and really sore. He has had a cold recently due to allergies and I am wondering if it is sinus related. It is on the top middle of his mouth and it almost looks like a canker sore but not sure. It is very inflamed. Can you help?

Answer:

This can be from any number of causes and without examining your husband, it is difficult to give you a specific answer.  The most common cause of this sort of problem is eating food that is too hot, for example pizza.  This can cause a burn to the roof of the mouth that may take a suprisingly long time to heal.  Trauma from eating certain foods can do the same.  Infection is less likely, although sometimes a yeast infection can cause redness and sensitivity to the roof of the mouth.  Lastly, tumor can form in this location as well, so it would be best for your husband to see a physician for further evaluation.

Allen M Seiden, MD Allen M Seiden, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Division of Rhinology and Sinus Disorders, Director of University Taste and Smell Center, Director of University Sinus and Allergy