Ankle pain outside below the bone

06/29/2009

Question:

3 weeks ago I felt a pop and pain in my foot on the bottom in the ball area; it then radiated to the outside under my ankle bone. I continued running and it seemed to subside, however it has continued to swell daily and hurts to walk by the end of the day. I thought I would see improvement by now. I have continued my runs but have had to cut back and sometimes not run because of the pain. At what point should I see a doctor?

Answer:

The fact your symptoms have persisted for at least 3 weeks without improvement, and remain bothersome enough to interfere with desired activities, are sufficient reasons for you to undergo medical evaluation at this time.

Until then, cross-training with a low-impact, or possibly no-impact, activity - one which does not aggravate your symptoms - is appropriate to maintain aerobic conditioning.

Brian L Bowyer, MD Brian L Bowyer, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation