Athletic Training

Torn Ligament in Chest

06/19/2009

Question:

Although this injury was not from "sports", it seems to be common in sports injuries.

Recently I was mugged. In trying to get away, I seem to have torn a ligament in my chest. I now feel a tightness in my chest if I straighten my back or stick my chest out. Sneezing has caused extreme pain and I have felt my chest bones popping against one another. I have to be careful how I sit up from laying on my back. Otherwise, I usually don`t feel any pain from the injury. I`m able to ride a bike and lift fairly heavy weight with no problems.

Would appreciate information on how to treat this.

Thanks.

Answer:

The symptoms you are describing most probably involve the joints in and around the rib cage since you are experiencing pain on sneezing and with positional changes. If you haven't done so, I would recommend a visit to your local physician to determine the source of your pain and to recommend a treatment program that alleviates your symptoms.  I would limit any activity that is causing you pain in the area, which may be slowing down your healing process.  Good Luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences