Swollen & Uncomfortable Bump on Roof Of Mouth

07/02/2009

Question:

For the past 2 months I have been feeling like there is something stuck on the right side of my throat. I had a tonsil stone removed by an ENT 2 weeks ago which seemed to make it better but now the feeling of something being stuck in my throat has returned. At first I thought it was from the tonsil stone but now I know it isn`t since I no longer see any stones in the tonsil crypts. I noticed I have these 2 bumps on the roof of my mouth one on the right and on the left. They are right before the throat entrance and next to where my upper wisdom teeth used to be. I searched the internet and I believe they are called "Hamulus." My ENT said they are hooks that hold your skull in. Anyway the one on the right is definitly bigger than the one on the left and is swollen. When I wake up in the morning it is about the same size as the one on the left and I usually don`t have that feeling of something being stuck in my throat until my day progresses. As I become more active and especially after working out it swells. Do you know why this happening and what it means??? More importantly can you tell me what I could do to prevent this from happening. The feeling is not painful but extremly uncomfortable. Again the swelling goes down when I go to sleep. I am worried something is very wrong because I never had this before. Thank you.

Answer:

The Hamulus usually does not present in the way that you have described your situation. There are tissues such as minor salivary glands that may swell and then go down. You should get an appointment with your dentist to be examined and determine what is causing this swelling. Something that changes that rapidly is normally not serious but can be uncomfortable and disconcerting. You need to be examined by a dental professional to determine the cause of the swelling. 

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry