Athletic Training

Dull ache on the inside of the ankle

06/30/2009

Question:

What might cause a dull ache on the inside of the ankle that seems to stretch down into the arch of the foot?

I thought it might be because my running shoes were too worn but I replaced them and it didn`t make any difference.

I don`t really notice this when I am running, its most of the rest of the time that I feel it.

Thanks.

Answer:

Thank you for your question. As a runner myself, I know how frustrating leg and foot pain can be. It sounds as though you may have an inflamed or irritated posterior tibialis tendon.

This usually is the result of

I would start by stretching out the calf using a Foam Roller. This is a great tool for runners to help lengthen the fascia (lining over the muscle) and reduce knots in the muscle. They are available at most sporting good stores.

Secondly, I would check the inserts in the running shoes as they tend to be very thin. You many consider purchasing an over-the-counter orthotic (e.g., Dr. Scholl's) to support and cushion the arch.

Lastly, give yourself an ice massage after your run. Fill up a dixie cup with water, freeze it, and then peel off part of the cup and using small, circular strokes, massage the sore area for about 10 minutes.

If symptoms persist, see your physician to rule out any other serious injury such as a stress fracture.

Good luck with your running!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Vincent J O'Brien, ATC Vincent J O'Brien, ATC
Head Athletic Trainer
Clinical Instructor at the School of Allied Medical Professions