Pain Management

Severe headaches

06/29/2009

Question:

Hi

i am a 23yr old female, been experiencing severe headaches for approx 2yrs, had mri`s ct`s, been to docs, neruologists diagonised with migranes been on some really strong meds and pain still around, it usually starts with a stiff neck, swelling of a neck muscle and works its way up either to the right or left side of the back of my head. pain is servere cannot do anything, if i sleep i need to be in a particular position so that the pain does not worsen. i just dont know wat to do as everyone around me is completly fed up with hearing that i have these pains ever so often :-(

i need help desperatley, i have no life anymore.

Answer:

You may have what is referred to as cervicogenic headache; that means a headache that originates from the back of the upper neck spine. This is a type of headache that can be managed by interventions by a pain specialist who treats these conditions, such as myself at University Hospitals of Cleveland.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine