Glaucoma

06/29/2009

Question:

I have glaucoma 50 year old black male no vision in the left eye . The right eye is 20/400 with sight 2 feet or less. the pupil reacts slowly to light in the right eye and only see faint shadows in the right eye. no vision in the left at all no light reacts. Could your experts diagnose on 20/400 vision and fiant shadows and sight within 2 feet or less. What dose that mean?

Answer:

I'm so sorry to hear about the damaging effects from glaucoma that you have experienced in each eye. It sounds like your left eye is totally blind; and your right eye is almost totally blind. Unfortunately, the damage is permanent at this point. But be sure to follow your eye doctor's recommendations to keep your eyes comfortable and to keep the little vision you have remaining in your left eye.

20/400 measured at 2 feet is really 20/4000. This means letters that normal patients can see 4000 feet away are only clear to you at 2 feet away.

If you have not already received vision rehabilitation services, please ask your eye doctor for a referral to a blind rehabilitation center. In Ohio, these are located in Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland.

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry