Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Colorectal Diseases




When looking for a colon specialist, what is their title? I had a Doctor of protology several years ago, but he has since left. I cannot seem to find anyone who is called a protologist.


For a specialist in surgical treatment of diseases of the colon, rectum, and anus you need to find a colon and rectal surgeon. CRS do proctology as part of their practice. The American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons used to be known as the Proctology Society, but then training and scope of expertise was expanded to abdominal diseases.

For more information:

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati