Newborn and Infant Care

Head circumference

07/07/2009

Question:

my babies dr says his head is on the large side and wants to do an mri on a 9 1/2 month old his chart compared to others is not that different and also larger heads are a family trait in both sides of our families

what should we do? with all that we have found out it should not be done with the dangers of the test on a baby that young and that things are not that of the chart with his growth

Answer:

There are multiple reasons that a baby's head can be larger than expected. Some are worrisome, others are not. Yes, a family trait of a large heads can be within the normal limits IF the child's growth and development are normal AND the physical examination of the head are normal AND the growth of the head is increasing in a proportional way.

That said, I don't have access to your child and must rely upon your health care providers assessment. If you are not convinced that an MRI is necessary, ask for a second opinion of your child's situation.

Go to the Newborn and Infant Care health topic, where you can:

Sarah Sauntry, RN, MS, CPNP-PC
Assistant Professor of Clinical Nursing