Wellness Center

Nutrition/Supplements to Get Rid of PVCs?

07/02/2009

Question:

I have had PVCs on and off for 25 years. For the first ten years, I had hundreds of them daily. It was awful! Then, they suddenly stopped completely after I began a light weight lifting program. I didn`t have them for several years after that. However, they have been back on and off since then. (I have not been lifting weights for a number of years, though)

Over the years, I have seen cardiologists and had the standard workups - EKGs, echos, and two CardioLite stress tests. Everything has come back clear except sometimes I am told I have MVP, and sometimes I am told I don`t.

My question is, besides the obvious - no smoking, no drinking, and no caffeine (I stay away from all of these) - are there any nutritional means or supplements that are helpful in getting rid of PVCs? Also, have you ever heard of someone eliminating theirs by starting a weight lifting program?

Answer:

Ask your doctor to get a magnesium blood test. We try to get the level towards the upper normal levels to stop this. 

Go to the Wellness Center health topic, where you can:

Glen F Aukerman, MD, DABFP Glen F Aukerman, MD, DABFP
Professor of Family Medicine