Has a thermal burn caused eye color change?

07/15/2009

Question:

Hello a year ago i suffered a thermal heat burn from a fire the heat came in contact with my face and also my eyes. My eyes seem to be fine and so is my sight but i have noticed a change in my eye color it seems to have turned darker and faded like the heat has some how washed away the color from the iris but as i said my sight is fine so could you please tell me if you think that the heat may have had an effect on the pigments in the iris and have caused my eye color to turn darker if so how do you think this has happened and have you ever heard of something happening like this before and is there any way of reversing the effects. Could you please try to answer this question as i have not found an answer yet thank you

Answer:

A thermal burn to the eye is unlikely to cause damage to the iris, without first causing significant damage to the cornea (the clear front most part of the eye). As it appears that this did not occur, the change in iris color is probably not related to the burn. However, any significant change in iris color warrants a visit to your eye doctor to determine the cause. These causes can range from normal aging changes to an iris tumor.

Andrew J Toole, OD, PhD, FAAO
Clinical Assistant Professor of Optometry