My 11-month-old baby`s eye is turned in

07/14/2009

Question:

my 11 month old daughters eye turned in over night she has had eye exams in hospital that have shown that there is nothing wrong with her sight she has also had a ct scan which came back clear the doctors have said she has a small head could the two be conected or if u have any idea why this would happen

Answer:

This would be difficult to determine over the Internet. If her eye definitely looks as though it is turned in, I would recommend an eye exam from an optometrist or ophthalmologist. Since she has had clear results from CT scans it most likely is not due to a compressive lesion (tumor) or a blood vessel-related problem. She probably would benefit from a comprehensive eye exam, as her binocular vision status would be evaluated and you would be able to get a professional opinion on the alignment of her eyes.

Since she is under 12 months, there is a program sponsored by the American Optometric Association (AOA) called InfantSEE which provides children 6 months-1 year a free eye exam. The Ohio State University College of Optometry is a participant in this program, as well as many private office doctors. It may be beneficial to look into this program.

In summary, without a professional evaluation it would be impossible to give you a correct answer regarding her eye alignment.

Aaron  Zimmerman, OD, MS Aaron Zimmerman, OD, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Optometry