Map dot dystrophy question

07/15/2009

Question:

I was diagnosed with this condition about 2 years ago, and the past 5 months or so have been the worst. I learned today that I have my 4th erosion. My last one, in May, was finally healed after 2 weeks with bandage contacts, and took about 5 weeks of total treatment, during which I saw my opthamologist 14 times. She seems to be doing everything I read on the various web sites,and was hinting at laser this last time, but it finally healed. I wonder at what point I should consider seeing a cornea specialist, or if it`s worth the effort. I happen to also have kerataconus is this eye, which is not the main concern for now, as it is apparently stable. I also have some problem with a green discharge at times, and of course I have dry eye. Thanks so much for helping me figure out if there`s more I could be doing!

Answer:

As you said, it does seem like your eye doctor is treating your condition appropriately. Collectively, you and your eye doctor are the best ones to determine if a corneal specialist referral is warranted. You should feel free to discuss this option with your current doctor to get her opinion.

Andrew J Toole, OD, PhD, FAAO
Clinical Assistant Professor of Optometry