Map dot dystrophy question

I was diagnosed with this condition about 2 years ago, and the past 5 months or so have been the worst. I learned today that I have my 4th erosion. My last one, in May, was finally healed after 2 weeks with bandage contacts, and took about 5 weeks of total treatment, during which I saw my opthamologist 14 times. She seems to be doing everything I read on the various web sites,and was hinting at laser this last time, but it finally healed. I wonder at what point I should consider seeing a cornea specialist, or if it`s worth the effort. I happen to also have kerataconus is this eye, which is not the main concern for now, as it is apparently stable. I also have some problem with a green discharge at times, and of course I have dry eye. Thanks so much for helping me figure out if there`s more I could be doing!

As you said, it does seem like your eye doctor is treating your condition appropriately. Collectively, you and your eye doctor are the best ones to determine if a corneal specialist referral is warranted. You should feel free to discuss this option with your current doctor to get her opinion.

Andrew J Toole, OD, PhD, FAAO
Clinical Assistant Professor of Optometry