Blood vessel in the retina

07/09/2009

Question:

today i went with my 65 year old friend to the eye doctor. her left eye was blurred.He did a visual test and was very alarmed.He said that this was an underlining result of something more serious going on,almost like having a mini stroke in her eye.Now she`s being sent to the clinic to drain the blood in her eye.My question is ,is this procedure done once, apparently it`s new technoligy and an insersion is done with drugs??? can you tell me more??

Answer:

I can't be sure, but it sounds like your friend has bleeding in the back of her left eye. The most likely cause of this in her age group is a very serious eye disease known as exudative maculopathy (also called "wet" Age-related Macular Degeneration or "wet" AMD).

The standard of care today is use of a new medicine that is injected into her arm that then flows through the back of her eye where it is treated with a strong laser light to stop the hemorrhaging. The treatment goal is to stop further progression of the disease; but it will not restore her vision to 20/20.

Be sure she keeps all of her follow-up appointments for this potentially blinding condition. Unfortunately, her right eye may also need the same treatment in the future.

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry