Newborn and Infant Care

10th % head circ

07/17/2009

Question:

My son is 2 and went in for his check up. He is average ht and wt but has dropped from 50% to 10% head circ since he was last measured at 6mths.At 2 he is 87.5 cms tall and 12.4kg`s and his head looks in proportion with the rest of his body. He started walking by 7 mths and is very co-ordinated able to have conversations and count to 10 and say his name. Niether my wife or I have smaller than average head size. Should we be worried about the rapped drop in head circ?

Answer:

Actually, your son's head size has not decreased, rather it does not seem to be growing in proportion to his height and weight. This finding is less worrisome if he has kept up on his developmental milestones. However, additional testing is probably indicated to make sure that the bones in his head have not fused prematurely. Usually this involves an x-ray of the skull as a first step. Additional radiologic tests may be required based upon these results. I am somewhat concerned that he has not had a head measurement since he was 6 months old. Are you able to keep him up to date on his health visits and immunizations?

Go to the Newborn and Infant Care health topic, where you can:

Sarah Sauntry, RN, MS, CPNP-PC
Assistant Professor of Clinical Nursing