Mouth sores

07/13/2009

Question:

I have mouth sores from past 5 days. After two days of suffering I consulted with a ENT specialist. He gave me B-complex capsules, Xylocaine and Candid Mouth paint, and told to mix both the syrups and drink 3 times one tea spoon a day. I can`t be able to swallow the solution but using it as mouth wash from past 3 days, but a little improvement happen. Please suggest.

Answer:

Without examining your mouth, it would be impossible to say what might be causing these sores. You should make an appointment to see an oral pathologist for evaluation. Oral pathology is the only specialty of dentistry or medicine that focuses on diagnosis and treatment of oral disease.

By the way, "ENT" stands for "Ears, Nose and Throat" - notice that there is no "M" - for mouth. Without an accurate diagnosis of your problem by an oral pathologist, it cannot be determined whether you are receiving the correct treatment.

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology