Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Easily bruised and thin skin

07/13/2009

Question:

I am 48yrs old and am in good health so my Doctor says.I am 6`2" and weigh 170 lbs and have worked outside my entire life..The only health issue I have that I know of is sleep apnea.The only vitamins I take are 2000 mg of vitamin C once a day. It`s not that I don`t believe her and I have alot of respect for her but I`m very curious because I`ve noticed in the past year that my skin has gotten very thin because I bleed very easy and if I as much as prop my chin on my hand for a few minutes my whole chin will be completely red and and will stick with me for a couple of days.I also bleed very easily with just a small scratch or bump.Maybe its just the working in the sun but the facial bruises worry me a little. Thanks for any input you can give me.

Answer:

Loss of skin elasticity is usually part of aging past age 60. Your description suggests that you should see a skin doctor for another opinion.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Eric H Kraut, MD Eric H Kraut, MD
Professor of Hematology