Swelling of Eye After Vitrectomy

11/20/2009

Question:

I had surgery to correct a macular hole of the retina three months ago, but still have some swelling of the eye. I have some aching. Will this take more time for (say 3 more months)for the swelling to go away. My doctor doesn`t seem to know why and asked if I was diabetic (I am not).

When I broke my ankle it took several months for the swelling to go away after I was told to walk on my foot. Could this eye swelling take several more months to go away?

Answer:

Wow, I can't predict the amount of time it will take you to heal because every patient is different.

There may be some scar tissue or even old blood in the area that is causing persistent inflammation (edema, swelling) around the surgical site.

Have you had a recent medical check-up, which includes a complete blood count (CBC)? Since your surgeon asked about diabetes, he or she may be thinking about an undetected systemic disease that may affect your ability to heal more quickly (i.e., something that may be causing a decreased immune system?). 

I can only recommend that you follow your surgeon's advice since he or she knows you and your medical history the best.

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry