Lung Cancer

CT scan

07/13/2009

Question:

I had chest CT scan in summer of 08. At that time, it showed evidence of previous granulomatous disease. Showed small subpleural nodules in periphery of right and left lung base. Linear interstitial densities, right middle lobe and lingula. Some of nodules are calcified. Majority measure less than 3 mm. Areas of pleural and parenchymal scarring in right middle lobe and lingula. no additional abnormality noted. I am scared - must get another CT Scan. Can you tell me if the results of the first one look bad? Thank you!

Answer:

It is very common in the Ohio area to have small nodules in the lung. The majority of these are not cancer. You should, however, have a repeat chest CT and have these nodules followed by a lung doctor.  Usually, we follow small nodules for 2 years to determine that they are definitely benign.

I hope this helps.

Go to the Lung Cancer health topic, where you can:

Sandra L Starnes, MD Sandra L Starnes, MD
Assistant Professor of Surgery