Effects of Cinnamon on Diabetes

I am 78 and my fasting sugar is 106. There is some family history of diabetes II. Will taking cinnamon tablets help any, and if so, how much?

The evidence from controlled clinical trials on cinnamon in blood sugar control is limited and what evidence there is is mixed.  On balance across a population the magnitude of effect if any is small however there can be substantial individual differences.  There is relatively little risk to trying cinnamon alone - if used in conjunction with a clearly effective glucose lowering drug, there could theoretically be slightly more risk although still not much.  It is always good advice to review current lifestyle (including diet, exercise) with a certified diabetes educator to figure out what the best first steps might be for non-drug interventions.  The advice of a health care professional in deciding about blood sugar goals and the possible use of drugs to help lower blood sugar as well would be prudent also.

Go to the Diabetes health topic, where you can:

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD
Professor of Clinical Medicine