Parkinson's Disease

Parkinson`s and restless leg syndrome

07/16/2009

Question:

have just been diagnosed with rls affecting most muscles in body, treatment successful with medication and my quality of life has improved, however, my arms do shake occassionaly and i often sway to the left, i have also fallen a few times as my leg becomes very stiff. if i walk through doorways i often have a little trouble walking through without falling to one side. could this be the start of parkinsons

Answer:

This forum is not intended to help make a diagnosis. The cardinal features of parkinsonism are rigidity, bradykinesia (slowness and smallness of movement), tremor, and postural instability. The presence of the cardinal features plus an appropriate history and exam findings are used to make a diagnosis of Parkinson's disease. Balance trouble is not typically seen early in idiopathic Parkinson's disease. There are numerous things that can cause loss of balance, and trouble walking as well. I suggest you discuss your symptoms further with your doctor.

Go to the Parkinson's Disease health topic, where you can:

Punit  Agrawal, DO Punit Agrawal, DO
Assistant Professor of Neurology