High Blood Pressure

Low blood pressure

08/31/2009

Question:

I have taken my blood pressure for a few days because I was feeling dizzy. I am takine and ACE Inhibitor and a Calcuim channel blocker for my high blood pressure. My blood pressure was around 80/50. Is there a certian level that low blood pressure can be danagerious? Can my blood pressure get too low?

Answer:

The lower limit for a normal blood pressure is actually not known.  In otherwise healthy people, the rule of thumb is that as long as the patient has no symptoms ("walks and talks"), the blood pressure is not too low.

However, when a person takes blood pressure medication, and the blood pressure goes to 80/50, one or both medications should be stopped.  In your case, you may want to stop the calcium channel blocker first.

A person whose blood pressure is under 120/80 without medication should not be placed on an antihypertensive drug.

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Max C Reif, MD Max C Reif, MD
Director of Hypertension Section