Pharmacy and Medications

Turnips - potassium

07/21/2009

Question:

I am on a low potassium diet can I eat turnips?

Answer:

Thank you for contacting NetWellness. Potassium is a mineral found in various foods. Its function is to keep the heart beating, keep a normal fluid balance, and work to have muscles and nerves function as they should.

Potassium is regulated by the kidneys to keep the right level of potassium in the blood. Some people have a disease of the kidney or take certain medications that have to restrict the amount of potassium that is consumed. Most all foods contain some type of potassium and the key is to choose foods low in potassium. Those who need diets low in potassium are suggested to eat less than 1500 mg to 2700 mg of potassium a day.

A registered dietitian or nutritionist can help to create a low potassium meal plan and tips for reducing potassium levels in vegetables. One cup of turnip greens and turnips, frozen, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt has 352 mg of potassium and 1 cup of cubes raw turnips contain 248 mg of potassium.

The USDA has a website that lists various vegetables and their content of potassium. It is a good reference when planning a meal. http://riley.nal.usda.gov/nal_display/index.php?info_center=4&tax_level=2&tax_subject=279&topic_id=1387  

A registered dietitian or nutritionist can best answer your questions more completely than I am able to. NetWellness has some general information available that you can also access through the Health Topics and scroll to Diet and Nutrition.

Go to the Pharmacy and Medications health topic, where you can:

Sarah Hudson-DiSalle, PharmD, RPh
Specialty Practice Pharmacist of Outpatient Pharmacy