Still pain in ankle over a year after surgery

07/28/2009

Question:

I had Arthroscopic ankle surgery and a Brostrum repair on April 2008. I have gone to therapy as well for four to six months and I was done in October 2008. I am having alot of pain and this is July 2009. Before my ankle surgery, I injured my ankle with a fracture, torn ligaments, and damaged my tendon. I still have clunking too, but the clunking is not painful. Why is my ankle bothering me over a year after surgery? Is it normal though to still have pain in my anklr over a year after surgery? My ankle is swollen on the right side of it, where the bone is and that is one of many places he went in during surgery.

Answer:

It is difficult to know the source of pain without examining your ankle and knowing your case.  Every person is different. Scar tissue is the most likely cause and it can be very painful.  It would respond to another course of therapy

I would recommend going back to the surgeon to ask these questions.  It could be something more serious than scar tissue.

Tammy S Wadsworth, PT MS OCS Tammy S Wadsworth, PT MS OCS
Sports Medicine Team Member
Clinical Instructor at The School of Allied Medical Professions