Bump on Bone of Lower Palate

07/30/2009

Question:

I have a bump on the bone (under the skin) on the right side of my lower mouth under my tongue. It is about 1/4 inch below the level of where my teeth meet the gum about midway between the front of my mouth and the back. There is no pain associated with it, nor does it move around when I press on it. It appears to be a growth on the bone - it is solid. This may have been there before, but I have never noticed before now. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you for your help!

Answer:

What you are describing sounds as if it could be what is known as a mandibular torus, which is a very common, benign (harmless) growth of bone that typically develops on the lingual (tongue side) of the mandible (lower jaw) in the area of the premolar teeth (the ones just behind the canine or "eye tooth"). About 1 person in 4 will have this lump of bone, and often both sides of the lower jaw are affected. There are other, much more rare, things that it could be, but if you want the diagnosis confirmed, you should see your dentist or make an appointment to see an oral pathologist.

Find an Oral Maxillofacial Pathologist Near You

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology