Pain behind right knee

08/31/2009

Question:

I have been playing soccer for a long time and I am now 43 years old. I have experienced a strong pain behind my right knee when I was playing soccer few days ago and the pain is there even when I walk or climb the stairs. I went to the doctor and I have informed him that I have had surgery on my right knee 15 years ago to push miniscus to avoid friction of knee. The DR has recomended an MRI and some voltran. Please advise if this is a muscle spasm or what. I experience a strong pain when I try to run.

Answer:

To determine the cause for your symptoms, a physical examination is necessary, and if further surgery on your right knee is seriously being considered, a knee MRI scan is typically also necessary. A "muscle spasm" behind the knee would not be a typical cause for pain symptoms such as those you've described.

Brian L Bowyer, MD Brian L Bowyer, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation