Small Hard Bump on Roof of Mouth

08/04/2009

Question:

Just recently I noticed a hard white bump on the roof of my mouth, it is behind and to the side of my front teeth. It feels like a tooth but there is not pain in my mouth or even in the area. It`s small like the size of a pin head.

Answer:

There are several possibilities for the cause of this painless bump. Given your description that it feels like a tooth (I assume that means hard), it could represent a small growth of bone called a torus or exostosis. These growths are quite common although the front portion of the roof of the mouth is a relatively uncommon location for these benign bone bumps. If it is located right next to the teeth, a benign growth called a peripheral ossifying (bone forming) fibroma could be considered.

Rather than guessing (and assuming that this bump does not grow quickly or start to bother you in any way) I recommend you ask your dentist to take a look at your next check-up.

Good luck!

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
Associate Dean of Dentistry Administration