Hair growth

08/31/2009

Question:

I have thin, curly, short hair. I have been growing my hair for 6-7 years now but it doesn`t reach past my shoulders, even when its straight. I wash my hair every day and swim twice a week. It has grown around 4 inches in 6 years (even though it should apparently grow 6 inches per year). I trim my hair regularly and I have spent much money on various products such as tablets and shampoos to make it grow but i have not seen any improvements. Are there any products or treatments that you would recommend? Do you think this is worth seeing a doctor to get a hair growing prescription or am i just being overdramatic? Please help! Thank you!

Answer:

There is much variability in hair growth from person to person. If the rate of your hair growth has always been like this, I would not worry at all, as this may be the "normal" rate for you. However, if this is a significant change from before, it would be good to check with your doctor. Hair products such as shampoos, etc, may not really be all that helpful in stimulating hair growth.

Elma D Baron, MD Elma D Baron, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Skin Study Center