RGP Lenses and Water

09/01/2009

Question:

Well. I ve been using RGP lenses for almost a year,, recently my lenses popped from my eye so i cleaned it with water and soap and i inserted to my eye directly without using any solution.. i did couple of time before and i just read about acanthamoeba keratitis in water.. What are my chances to get such an infection from cleaning my lenses this way.. i only experience mile redness due to the plastic lenses and mild sun-light sensitivity.. P.S. i clean my lenses every night and put in good disinfectant solution..

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. While the risk of ancanthamoeba keratitis is lower in gas permeable contact lens wearers than in soft contact lens wearers, the risk still exists. This risk of infection is lowered when avoiding use of homemade saline solutions and tap-water. Please refer to the following website for information of proper gas permeable contact lens care and handling: http://www.allaboutvision.com/contacts/carergplens.htm

Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Optometry