Dental Anesthesia

Response to Conscious Sedation

08/10/2009

Question:

I am getting my 4 impacted wisdom teeth taken out next month and the oral surgeon will be using conscious sedation. I am not overly nervous about the procedure itself but more about how I will act under the sedation. I have read/heard many different responses and many people seem to act very loopy and irrational. I am wondering if it is possible for me to be calm and relaxed under the sedation and still not act at all silly or make a fool of myself. I do understand that they must see all types of behaviors under sedation but I really want to know if it is possible to be able to remain in control of your actions and vocal responses. Thank you

Answer:

Good news! You need not worry. It is very rare indeed for people to act "silly" or say things they would regret saying under sedation. You are not going to tell someone your deepest, darkest secrets under sedation. The typical time from IV placement until surgery is only about 2 - 5 minutes. After that, with oral surgery, there is no way you can talk anyway! The most we see at times is someone becoming giggly early on but as the sedation increases, this stops as well. After surgery, you won't be able to talk well anyway since your tongue and lips will be numb and you will be biting on gauze. 

Truly, no worries. 

Go to the Dental Anesthesia health topic, where you can:

Steven I Ganzberg, SB, DMD, MS Steven I Ganzberg, SB, DMD, MS
Formerly, Clinical Professor of Dentistry