Pulmonary Fibrosis

Scarring of the Lung

08/10/2009

Question:

I am coughing for the last two months with clear, thick and foamy slayva. My primary physcian told me that the my chest X-ray showed scarring possibly due to an old inflamation and I also have some inflamation now. Although he did not suggest, I will follow up with a pulmonary specialist.

Does having scarr in the lung automatically mean that I have Pulmonary Fibrosis?

Answer:

No, there are many conditions that can cause scar in the lung; idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis is only one of these. Often, a chest CT scan can point toward scar from previous lung injury (for example, previous pneumonia) versus interstitial lung disease (such as idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis). Seeing a pulmonologist is a good idea since he/she can better determine the cause of the scar and determine if additional tests are needed.

Go to the Pulmonary Fibrosis health topic, where you can:

James N Allen, Jr, MD James N Allen, Jr, MD
Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine