Braces

Extraction for Orthodontic Treatment

08/18/2009

Question:

hello I am 22 year old and recently visited a dentist for orthodontic treatment, who said that right maxilary 1st molar needs to be extracted. I am little apprehensive about this. I had an orthodontic treatment before when I was 12-13, where my teeth got straightened after extracting maxilary left canine and 1 mandibular right premolar. at age of 18-19, my teeth started getting relapsed as anteriors strated getting procline .My upper 3rd molars have erupted and lower are impacted. should I go ahead with the treatment or I should forget it and let it be as getting 1st molar extracted is concorning me a little.

Answer:

This is a very unusual treatment plan and I would suggest getting a second opinion. Look for a board certified orthodontist in your area to obtain the most authoratative opinion. It is impossible to answer this question on line. Sorry.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Mark G Hans, DDS, MSD Mark G Hans, DDS, MSD
Professor of Orthodontics
School of Dental Medicine