Bump on My Tongue for 3 Weeks

08/18/2009

Question:

Should I be concerned about a bump on the right top edge near the middle of my tongue that is not healing? It`s not open, red, oozing or painful in any way, but just appeared three weeks ago without trauma or any other combined condition. Also, would I see my primary care doctor, ENT or a dentist for this condition?

Answer:

There are several additional features that I would want to know, including exact size, color (if other than normal compared to the surrounding tongue) and how it feels when you touch it (hard, firm, soft, squishy, etc.). Although the majority of bumps of the tongue are harmless with limited potential to enlarge, it is probably something worth having a doctor examine. 

I would recommend you see an oral and maxillofacial surgeon (oral surgeon) as this specialist can not only clinically examine and assess the bump, he/she can also perform a minor surgical biopsy (obtaining a piece of the bump or removing it entirely) if a microscopic diagnosis by an oral pathologist is deemed necessary. 

Good luck!

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
Associate Dean of Dentistry Administration