Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Spine and Back Health




What can be done about fluid build up around the spine at previous surgery sites?


Hello, thank you for your question. Unfortunately, you haven't really given much information to go on. The options for what can be done depend on how long ago the surgery was, and what the fluid is thought to be. If it is a hematoma (blood clot) that's different than an infection or abscess, which is different from a seroma (a sterile collection of plasma-like fluid), which is different from a spinal fluid leak (also known in medical terms as a "pseudomeningocele"). All of these things are possible after a spinal surgery. You should discuss this issue with the surgeon who treated you, or if you can't, you should be evaluated by another spinal surgeon. Good luck.

For more information:

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

Response by:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University