Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Blue Spot on Roof of 4 -Year-Old`s Mouth

08/20/2009

Question:

Hello - My 4 year old recently went to the dentist for his routine cleaning. Everything went fine, however he does have a small cavity in 1 of his molars. I was brushing his teeth that evening when I noticed that he had a small (about the size of a pencil eraser) bluish spot on the roof of his mouth. I though it was from his visit to the dentist. However it has been 2 weeks and the spot is still there. It has not gotten any larger, and it does not bother him. What could this possible be? Should I be concerned? Thank you for your help :-)

Answer:

Although it is unlikely to be a serious finding, a bluish spot of the roof of the mouth is unusual enough that you should return to the dentist so the spot can be examined more carefully. Possible explanations can include foreign material (occasionally the result of an accidental jab from the wrong side of a pencil) or a benign pigmented (dark) spot similar to a mole on the skin.

Hope this helps! 

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
Associate Dean of Dentistry Administration